I live 3 hours from the nearest grocery store. So needless to say, we eat a lot of frozen and packaged foods. And this is not a bad thing. Contrary to popular belief, freezer and pantry meals can be made to be very nutritious and delicious. And a lot of meals can be prepared quick and easy.
Most of my dinner recipes will address the challenges I face with the lack of fresh ingredients. Like what to do if you forget something at the store, how to adapt a recipe for substitute ingredients, how to plan a monthly grocery trip or how to prepare meals to be frozen.
The following is a recipe for baked tilapia with cilantro lime rice and mango salsa. This is a recipe I make when I have recently gone to town for fresh produce, mainly because of the mangos. But feel free to omit the mango salsa and voila – a meal that can be made weeks after a grocery run with little prep and effort.
- 4 Frozen Tilapia Fillets
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- Garlic Salt
- Olive Oil
- 4 cups prepared rice of choice - I like Jasmine
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 mangoes diced
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 avocado diced (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place frozen tilapia fillets in shallow baking dish. Season with garlic salt, paprika and cilantro. Drizzle with olive oil. Top with tomatoes, onion and cilantro.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to avoid overcooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice and salsa.
- Combine rice, cilantro and lime juice - mixing well.
- Combine mangoes, onion, avocado and lime juice.
- Plate and enjoy!
So what do you think?
Let me know in the comments below.